When you decide to replace or upgrade or place a window in your room, you may be confused about what you should have and what would be perfect. You may look forward to a window that has both top-notch security and a sophisticated look. Casement windows can be a better option for you. It’s one of the top-rated in the market.
But when it’s the time of upgrading or buying a new window, you may look forward to the features. Moreover, if you decide on one, then comes measurement. Like the question, how are casement windows measured?
Let’s learn A-Z about casement windows so that they can help you to make the right choice.
How Are Casement Windows Measured?
The casement windows are measured by measuring the height and width of the casement or awning vertically and horizontally with the help of extended measurement tape.
To measure the width of the casement window at the base, extend your tape measure horizontally from jamb to jamb or trim to trim. To calculate the height of the casement window, open your tape from header to sill or drywall to sill. Make sure you measured or placed the video perfectly to measure the casement windows.
Casement windows may have metal frames like vinyl, fibreglass, aluminium-clad wood, and so on. These metal frames have a standard sizing option. They are-
|Vinyl||1’1.5″ min – 2’11.5″ max||1’5″ min. – 6’1″ max.|
|Fibreglass||1’1.5″ min. – 2’11.5″ max.||2’5.5″ min. – 6’5.5″ max.|
|Aluminium||1’5″ min. – 4’11” max.||1’5″ min. – 6’1″ max.|
Casement windows come in almost all shapes and sizes. And that’s why there are so many types and options of casement windows. When replacing or installing, picking the right one is the most challenging job.
As for casement windows, there are so many options and configurations. The first one has to decide the right one for his room. Then consider the different shapes and sizes according to choice.
Sizing: Standard industries have common sizing options. The way of presenting sizing in industries helps people understand the size easily. For instance, the standard window size is 3838, which means the first 38 is the height of the window and the second one is the window’s width. So, a 3838 window implies the window size is 3’8,” and the width of the window is 3’8″.
Now, let’s learn about the standard sizes of different types of casement windows.
- The standard size of the awning window: There is no perfect size on the window. We can predict the average value. On average, the width of most of the awning windows ranges from around 2 inches to 3 feet 10 inches. The height frequently falls between 20 inches to 7 feet 8 inches. So, it is inevitable that you can have both small or large sizes according to your needs.
- The standard size of the outside casement window is the most common type of casement window opening entirely to the outside. The standard size is the standard size of the casement window, like its width starts from 17 inches and ranges up to 41inches. Height ranges from 2 feet 5.5 inches to 6 feet 5.5 inches.
What Are The Standard Casement Windows Sizes?
Standard window sizes depend on your room size, the location of your room, and your choice of window selection. Sometimes choosing the wrong sized window may create a big problem. Before further proceeding, just keep in mind that manufacturers always take off ½ inch on both sides of the window (height and width) to ensure a successful installation, function, and security.
Measurement of casement window:
The house area that needs more ventilation than others, like the bathroom kitchen, may use casement windows. The standard width is between 1 foot, 2 inches, and 2 feet, 11.5 inches. Standard height is between 2 feet, 5.5 inches, and 6 feet, 5.5 inches.
Measurement of awning window:
An awning window is like a casement window placed in the area of more air ventilation requirements. It opens outward, sometimes inward too. The standard width is between 2 inches and 3 feet, 10 inches, and the standard height is between 1 foot, 8 inches, and 7 feet, 8 inches.
Measurement Of Casement Window For Replacement.
Home renovation work is essential for bringing a new look to the home, upgrading security, or removing problems. Replacing old windows can be one of your replacement programs. Sounds easy, but replacing windows is not an easy task. You need to measure precisely. Otherwise, you may face the problem of being stuck or not fitted well too.
Here I’m giving you some window measurement tips to measure your old windows correctly and ensure the replacements will fit.
- Firstly measure width and height accurately with a good measurement tape.
- Measure every window individually.
- Do not assume that windows in the same room are the same size.
- After measuring width and height, calculate the depth dimension.
- Ignore all pulleys and parting strips when measuring for depth dimension, as they will be removed for replacement window installation.
- There must be at least ¼ inches opening depth between the inside window trim and the outside blind stop trim.
The Parts Of The Casement Window
The parts of a casement window can be divided into five segments. Let’s know about the characteristics of a casement window:
1. Locking handle:
The functionality of the locking handle is to lock or unlock the window. Generally, a locking cam is attached to the locking handle. There might be one or two locking handles in a casement window. By locking, it keeps the window sash in place.
The keeper of a casement window keeps the window locked associated with the locking handle and locking cam. The keeper is generally spotted on the moveable side of the window.
Sash is simply the window’s outer frame that holds the glass and keeps the window stable in its place. Sash is very important for a window. The sash characterizes the longevity of a window. If it is not constructed correctly, it might propagate any crack in glasses and reduce its endurance.
4. Butt Hinge:
It’s the part of the window that makes the rotation of the window smoother and friction-free. It’s typically located on the reverse side of the window. Butt hinges are also known as piano hinges. They allow the sash to swing outward.
5. Operator and Operator handle:
Probably it’s the part that makes the casement windows most amazing. The operator and operator handle is attached at the bottom side of the window. The operator handle can be rotated clockwise and anticlockwise. You can open or close the window and move the sash very quickly without losing your energy by turning the handle. A gear and cranks make the operator and the sash connected.
Types Of The Casement Window
There are many types of casement windows available right now. Some of the mentionable casement window types are:
- Double French Casement Windows: Having two sashes with single operator handles and hinged at both ends. These types of windows are popular among householders.
- Push Out Casement Windows: Having no crank, simply turning off the handle and pushing, makes this window easier and simpler. It’s an excellent choice for those who love simplicity.
- Push Out French Casement Windows: Having two sashes operating from the center and a matching handle makes them attractive. It offers both beauty and elegance.
- In-Swing Casement Windows: Instead of swinging outside, it operates depending inside. Turning the handle and pull is enough to manage this type of window. This type of window is the perfect choice for those who keep flower tubs, plants, or others outside the windows.
- Outswing Casement Windows: Most typical type of casement windows that swung outward and hinged at one end.
- Awning wind max. The awning is a standard casement window used primarily in the kitchen and bathroom.
- Flush casement: The window opener closes the flush into the frame to create a sleek appearance. The flush casement windows are getting very popular as they offer a contemporary finish.
- Side hung: Hinged at the side is the most common type of casement window.
- Bottom hung or hopper window: Hinged in the bottom of the frame, the window drops open from the top of the frame.
Measurements Of Different Shapes And Sizes Of Casement Windows (Standard)
The chart of the different sizes and shapes of casement windows is as below:
*Standard grill pattern is shown. * Custom grille pattern available. *Grilles are optional
|Openings (Add to unit size)|
|Rough opening||Masonry Opening|
|+3 /4″||+1/ 2″||+3/ 4″||+1/ 2″|
Installation Of Casement Window (7 Easy Steps):
Firstly, you may need the necessary skills and knowledge to install different casement windows. For instance, you may need specialized skills and the ability for a full-frame casement window. It is the most complex type of casement window.
But for insert replacement, you may not need many skills. Besides skills, you need some tools. The right tool selection is significant. Otherwise, there is a risk of improper installations.
The necessary tools for installation are
- Caulk gun
- Safety glass and goggle
- Gasket sealing tape
- A level
- Power drill
- Putty knife
- Pray bar
Some of the steps of casement window installation are similar to other windows. Here is a step-by-step instruction to install a casement window.
First, we assume that the window hole is perfectly measured and there is a hole in the wall for installing it. We have to make sure that after placing the window, the opening is watertight. You do not want any water or other substance to get between the wall and window, and you have to seal the place with tape.
Use your bubble level on the bottom sill to make sure that the wall opening is level. If it isn’t, raise one side with a small shim.
You are placing the window to the hole. Sometimes you have to turn at a 90° angle. So putting a window is not an easy task. You may need an assistant to place the window perfectly.
From the top, hammer a nail into the centre hole, then put a pin in every other hole. Make sure your window is still level. If it is, continue putting nails in the rest of the holes in the nailing flange.
Gasket and tape must be used to remove the additional water substances from the window.
First, you will need to build the casing. Then, you can install all the window hardware.
After the sixth step, we see that our window is finally installed perfectly. Now, you just need to finish the work and enjoy the feelings.
What is meant by the casement window?
A casement window is a window that has a hinge on one side, allowing it to open outwards for ventilation. A definition of the word casement is a window sash that opens in hinges at the side.
What is the difference between a casement and a French casement window?
A casement window is a single pane window that swings open on one side. A French casement window has two window panes that depend on availability in the centre.
Do you measure the casement window inside or outside?
Just run a tape measure from the outside to the inside and take the measurement edge to edge of the window frame.
Windows are one of the essential features of any room or house that allow light, air, or passage of sound. On the other hand, the right kind of window gives protection and outward beauty. So, it is necessary to upgrade the old window or buy a new window.
Despite having some problems while measuring the casement window, it is the most popular window nowadays. It has some fantastic features. The quality of the casement windows influences the consumers to use them.
After reading the article, you may now have a clear idea about how our casement window is measured, along with some other frequently asked questions. So, while thinking of replacing your window or measuring one, you have detailed research about it. So, install your window and enjoy the fresh air.