Today, we’ll answer your question: “Do I need a permit to replace my air conditioner in florida?”
When the sun glares upon us and tortures us with its heat, we seek peace in cool air-conditioned spaces. Air Conditioners are like a gift from humankind to humankind. They make our lives so much better. Those unbearable hot days are taken care of by air conditioners.
During hot summer days, all we can think about is the heavenly feeling of being in a space with cool air surrounding us. Thanks to Willis Haviland Carrier, we get the pleasure of getting cool air in our houses anytime we want with just a press of a button.
Do I Need A Permit To Replace My Air-Conditioner In Florida?
According to the Florida Statute Chapter 489, all HVAC systems need a license and a permit to install, remove or replace any Air conditioning system, as regulated by the Florida Building Code.
The permit law includes a few criteria. They are
- Installation of a cooling system or an air conditioner.
- Install an air conditioner wall unit that requires removing or cutting a part of the wall.
- Replacement of a condenser, air handler, or heating elements.
So, it’s pretty clear that a permit is needed for air conditioners in Florida. The Florida Building Code regulates the permit.
Most Used Air Conditioner In Florida
Split air conditioner systems are mostly used in Florida. Split air conditioner systems are very popular in the USA.
Daikin FTKF50TV 1.5 Ton Split Air Conditioner is the best type of split air conditioner. It cools the room faster and is overall a great air conditioner.
Hitachi Kashikoi 5100X 1.5 TR Split Air Conditioners are also amazing. However, they are not as good as the Daikin FTKF50TV 1.5 Ton Split Air Conditioner.
Why Is A Permit Needed To Change Air Conditioners In Florida?
Without a permit, it’s illegal to change air conditioners in Florida. However, having the permit for an air conditioner ensures a few things. They are,
- It gets installed properly.
- It’s the right size for your house.
- Centrally located for the right amount of ventilation.
- Cools your house efficiently .
- Circulates good indoor air quality.
- Conserves energy.
- Provides proper dehumidification.
- Reduces your utility bills.
Permit Conformity In Florida
Without a permit for your air conditioner, you can’t guarantee that the work done on your air conditioner is appropriately done. So, it could end up costing you more in the long run.
Permits are needed to get a home inspection, comply with your local government and submit evidence to your homeowner’s association, landlord, and sometimes property tax authorities, along with a few other things.
Getting a permit is essential for both the owner and the HVAC contractor. If the contractor doesn’t have the permit, they might face enormous consequences. Some of these consequences are,
- They can lose their business and their trade license.
- Getting fined by the local government.
- Having to remove the air conditioner.
Can Homeowners Install HVAC Systems?
Getting your air conditioner unit replaced in Florida is considered a construction project by the local government. Therefore, a Permit is a must when replacing an air conditioner. Without a permit, getting fined by the government is a huge possibility.
A permit is a big deal when installing, removing, or replacing an air conditioner. If not taken care of properly, it can lead to tons of problems.
Home Improvements Which Need A Permit In Florida
Home improvement projects take a lot of time. They require precision, expertise, and caution. Otherwise, irreversible damages can occur. Here is a list of home improvement projects that require a permit in Florida,
- Construction, enlarging, altering, repairing, moving, demolishing, or changing the occupancy of a building or structure.
- Convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical, or plumbing system.
Projects Which Don’t Need Permits In Florida
Even though most home improvement projects require permits in Florida, some don’t need permits. Spheres, here’s a list of projects that don’t require permits in Florida:
- Repairing air conditioners.
- Repairing the heating unit.
- Installing drywall in a detached garage without habitable space.
- Fixing gutters and leaders.
- Installing floor or wall ceramic tiles.
- Putting on wallpaper.
- Painting the walls.
- Plumbing fixture replacement.
- Residential appliance replacement.
- Residential playground replacement.
- Window repairs.
These are the home improvement projects that don’t require permits. Anyone can do these without facing fines from the local government.
What Are HVAC Permits?
Permits given out to work for HVAC systems in residential occupancies are called HVAC permits. HVAC Permits are essential. Without an HVAC permit, if someone carries out a business in repairing HVACs, they can easily face losing their license or getting fined by the local government.
HVAC Permits are essential because an HVAC system that’s not installed correctly can lead to horrific accidents. There have been countless reports of houses catching fire because the HVAC system wasn’t correctly installed. This is why the government makes such a big deal.
States In Usa That Don’t Require HVAC License
Even though most states do require an HVAC license, some states are still okay with their technicians not having an HVAC license. These states are,
- New York
In these states, it’s okay for technicians who do not have an HVAC license or permit. However, they have their own set of rules that ensure that accidents don’t occur.
Reasons Behind Unpermitted HVAC Work Being So Common
Even though accidents happen, everyday people still prefer unpermitted HVAC technicians. Here are the reasons behind unpermitted HVAC work being so common:
- It’s more budget-friendly: People who don’t have permits are usually the ones who are not experts when it comes to HVAC systems, which is why their services cost a lot less than experts.
- Permitted upgrades help raise property taxes: In most areas, getting that permit can be the problem that keeps costing more money. People don’t mind paying for the permit initially; however, the permit’s existence can result in a hike in property taxes. Property tax estimates vary by county, state, city, neighborhood, and by the property’s value, and they usually represent a percentage of the home’s value. The taxes are based on the last sale price and a 2% increase every year in California. So a new permit for a significant upgrade might trigger a new assessment that returns a much higher value. Which translates into higher yearly property taxes. People who plan to keep the property for several years afterward might hope to skip the permit to avoid the tax increase.
- Owners are unaware of what they need: most of the time, people don’t understand what they need permits for. On top of that, “Do it yourself “projects are so popular these days that everyone assumes they can do the task at hand. Houses being the market’s hype leads to more people trying their luck at flipping houses. For someone on a budget, getting a permit seems like another topic that seems easier to cut than pay for. However, when the lack of knowledge about HVAC systems finally raises its head and stirs up problems, the homeowners end up paying a lot more money to fix the disaster they caused.
Dangers Of Installing A HVAC System Without Permit Or License.
There are a few rules and regulations for installing an HVAC system. Those rules are there to prevent accidents. To stop accidents from occurring so frequently, the government of the USA has required some states to get permits to work with HVAC systems. The dangers of installing an HVAC system without a permit or license are given below,
- Installation done improperly.
- Air conditioners catching fire.
- Air conditioners bursting.
- Costing more money in the long run.
- Air conditioners not working properly.
- Air conditioner is not cooling the space.
- Air conditioners blow warm air instead of cool air.
There are other issues as well. One of those issues is that it’s not safe for someone without a license to work with air conditioners to install or repair air conditioners, as it can be severely harmful.
Is Permitted HVAC Work The Best?
Undoubtedly permitted HVAC is the best. The technicians who got permits to work with HVACs know everything about them. These permitted technicians know how to fix an HVAC system, they know how to install an HVAC system, they know which company has the best HVAC system, and a ton of other stuff as well. In short, we can easily say permitted HVAC technicians know everything there is to know about HVACs, which is why they can fix every single HVAC problem thrown towards them.
Permitted HVAC technicians work with finesse. As a result, they leave zero chances of their work ever coming undone or causing accidents.
However, when you hire an unpermitted HVAC technician, the result is sloppy at best. The work of unpermitted HVAC technicians is a ticking time bomb. It can go off anytime, harm many people, and cause severe damage.
This is why it is best to hire a permitted HVAC technician. That way, even though it will probably cost more, it’s still safer.
Why Are Permits Necessary While Doing HVAC Work?
Permits are essential when it comes to doing HVAC work. Working on HVAC systems without permits can lead to a ton of problems. Here are a few reasons why permits are a must-have while doing HVAC work,
- Technicians who have permits to work on air conditioners or HVAC systems know everything about them. This is why they can point you towards the best air conditioner for your home, install it for you, and they can even repair it for you if needed. So, even though they cost a bit more, it’s still best to hire them.
- Permits are necessary because HVAC installations and repairs fall under home improvement projects. Home Improvements usually alter the house’s structure, which makes it incredibly dangerous to work in that place. However, having a permit ensures the work is being done following all the rules and regulations. Therefore, it’s being done safely, correctly, and in compliance with the rules of the building.
- Other than ensuring safety and compliance with the rules of the building, it also makes sure that the air conditioner installed is up to par with the SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio).
- Permits also leave a trace of paperwork, which helps when listing your house on the market. The reason behind this is that most people want to see all the work that has been done on the property.
These are the reasons why having permits is very important. In addition, having a permit gives the technician an upper hand when it comes to job listings.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire A Permitted HVAC Technician?
Permitted HVAC technicians can charge a lot of money. They charge by the hour. But, even though they charge a lot, their services are worth every penny.
Permitted HVAC technicians charge about 75 dollars to 150 dollars per hour. In addition, there is a fee for the service call. The charge is $75 to $200, usually deducted from your final bill.
The Florida Statute Chapter 489 states that all HVAC systems need a license and a permit to install, remove or replace any Air conditioning system, as regulated by the Florida Building Code. So, in simple words, yes, permits and licenses are needed to replace your air conditioner in Florida.
I hope you got the answer to “Do I need a permit to replace my air conditioner in florida?” These permits are essential as they are of much help. Having one of these permits, I can easily replace my air conditioner in Florida.