It is known that most accidents happen at home, especially when kids are involved. According to research, a significant amount of kids fall out of open windows and hurt themselves daily. This includes windows with screens as well. Even though most of us don’t realize how dangerous windows are for kids, it still poses a significant threat, especially for toddlers who have just learned how to walk. Casement windows pose the most significant threat when it comes to a toddler.
So, parents should consider a few ways to babyproof the Window while purchasing casement windows. To make life easier for you, we will provide you with 9 tips on how to babyproof your casement windows and why.
How To Baby Proof Casement Windows?
Baby proofing your windows is crucial if you have a toddler running around the house, So here are a few ways you can baby proof your home:
Tip 1: Make sure the locks on your windows are working correctly:
One of the easiest and best ways to secure your house and prevent accidents is by making sure the lock on your Window is working correctly. If the lock on your Window is working correctly, then you certainly don’t have to worry about your child falling and hurting themselves. If there’s something wrong with the lock of your casement window, then you can purchase a child lock.
Read more about it below
Tip 2: Baby Proof Window Guards:
purchasing window guards is an excellent way to keep your child safe from disasters. These guards are made of grille-type protectors that can be customized to work with any type/ size of Window you have. The government has suggested that parents should get window guards if they have a child because window guards are brutal for a child to open, and if the child can take the guard, then the accident can be prevented. However, adults can easily open the guards in a few seconds in emergencies.
Side Note: Always install the window guards vertically to ensure your child can’t use them as a ladder.
Tip 3:Installing Window Screens:
Installing baby proof window screens can help a lot; however, they alone cannot ensure that your baby won’t fall. To ensure your baby won’t fall, you will have to take a few other precautions.
Tip 4:Moving Furniture Away From Windows:
Kids love climbing on stuff. It fascinates them, so if you keep furniture near the window, chances are your kid will climb on it, which is why it is best to move all of your furniture away from the Window.
Tip 5:Secure The Cords Of Your Blinds:
If your blinds come with long cords, then to avoid future disasters, you have to secure them. Blind cords come with small plastic pieces that are choking hazards; the cords also pose a significant threat because kids can easily get entangled. So, the best approach is finding a blind cord that your baby can’t reach.
Tip 6:Baby Proofing Window Sills:
window sills often come with sharp and hard edges. Children often bump their heads on these window sills. The best approach is to add padding to the Window sills to prevent this hazard.
Tip 7: Teaching Your Child About Safety Regarding Windows:
The best way to keep your child safe is by teaching them all about the safety rules and explaining why the Window poses a threat to them. So, if your child is aware of the dangers, they won’t take risks.
Tip 8: Using Baby Stoppers:
Window stops ensure that your Window doesn’t open from the inside. There are many different types of window stoppers. The most popular one is the window wedge. It ensures that it is impossible for your child to open the Window.
However, for casement windows, this won’t be of much help as they are crank-operated. To prevent your baby from pushing the Window open, all you have to do is unscrew the crank of your casement window. By unscrewing the crank of your Window, you are ensuring that your baby won’t be able to push the window open.
Tip 9: ChildProof windowsill:
Child Proof window sills are a must-have nowadays. Otherwise, the sharp and hard edges of the windowsill pose a threat which is why you should always babyproof your windowsill.
By taking these precautions, you can keep your baby safe and healthy. These precautions save your baby’s life and save you from a lot of trouble as well.
Why Should You Babyproof Your Casement Windows?
Casement Windows might be elegant but it is just as lethal. You should babyproof your casement windows to keep your baby out of harm’s way.
According to research conducted by the USA government on Aug. 22, 2011 — Falls from windows injure about 5,100 children on average each year just in the United States of America. These accidents can be prevented by taking some safety measures.
A study done more recently shows that about 98,415 children were treated in hospital emergency rooms from 1990 to 2008 for injuries caused by falls from windows. Some of them weren’t hurt too badly however, others weren’t as lucky so they suffered from fatal head injuries.
Here are a few reasons to babyproof your casement window:
1)keeps your baby safe :
If keeping your child out of harm’s way is your first priority then babyproofing your casement windows is the first thing you should do.
Sometimes even adults get into window-related accidents. So, the Baby Proofing Your Casement window ensures that these accidents won’t occur.
3) Prevents theft:
Baby Proofing Your Casement Windows help prevent thefts. It keeps you and your family safe.
Things to Consider While Baby Proofing Your Casement Windows
These tips will help you a lot while babyproofing your casement windows:
- You have to ensure no sharp bits are sticking out.
- Keep an eye out for spare parts that might be loitering around.
- Get a professional to help baby proof the Window.
- Make sure to install the window guards vertically to ensure your child can’t use them as a ladder.
Follow these tips, and you won’t face any issues while babyproofing your casement windows.
Use Locks To Baby Proof Your Window With
You can use various types of locks to increase the safety and babyproof your casement window and here’s why:
- Easy To Install – protection design, can not be unlocked from the outside, but easily unlocked from the inside to protect you from danger. We really need to install a door chain lock to protect us from external dangers, especially the danger of children.
- Heavy-Duty Material – the safety door chain protection devices are made of stainless steel and zinc alloy, sturdy and durable, scratch-resistant, rust-proof, and corrosion-resistant. This door safety chain protection device is simple and stylish, which perfectly matches the modern home decoration and provides a comfortable touch with a smooth surface.
- Door Lock For Security – The heavy-duty chain latch is a security locking device for doors, which ensures safe viewing and ventilation while the door is partially open, providing added security for your home and office doors. It can not be unlocked from the outside to guarantee your safety.
- 100% After-sales service: If you are not satisfied with our products because of any problems, many of these lock services provide after-sales services as well.
List Of Locks To Baby Proof Your Window With
Here’s a list of locks to help baby proof your casement window:
1)Sliding Bolt Latch Door Latch Safety Door Lock, Casement Window Chain Lock Stainless Steel Child Safety Window Stopper Lock, with Key-1 Set :
- SIZE – total length 21.5 cm (8-1 / 2 inches); chain length 17.7 cm / (7 inches); material thickness 23 cm (7/8 inches) thick anti-theft chain door cover, heavy chain door lock, door safety chain.
- EASY TO INSTALL – protection design, can not be unlocked from the outside, but easily unlocked from the inside to protect you from danger, we really need to install this door chain lock to protect us from external dangers, especially the danger of children.
- HEAVY DUTY MATERIAL – the safety door chain protection device is made of stainless steel and zinc alloy, sturdy and durable, scratch-resistant, rust-proof and corrosion-resistant. The door safety chain protection device is simple and stylish, which perfectly matches the modern home decoration, and provides a comfortable touch with a smooth surface.
- DOOR LOCK FOR SECURITY – The heavy duty chain latch is a security locking device for doors, which ensures safe viewing and ventilation while the door is partially open, providing added security for your home and office doors. It can not be unlocked from the outside to guarantee your safety.
- 100% After-sales service: If you are not satisfied with our products because of any problems, please contact us by email, we will do our best to solve them.
2)2pcs Baby Safety Locks, Childproof Cable Restrictor for Window & Sliding Door, Baby/Child Security Lock and Key Device
- Universal Fit: The window restrictor is suitable for most types of windows and small doors, can be mounted to UPVC, aluminum, wood, composite and metal profiles.
- Child Safety: Specially designed for safe ventilation and the prevention of accidents, protecting baby/children from falling out of the window.
- Extra Security Device: The restrictor provides the restriction of how much the door or window can be opened to prevent theft from being able to access.
- Easy to Install: Each safety Lock comes with four steel screws for fitting, it also requires tools of a screwdriver or drill (Not included).
- Application: Use on double hung, casement and slider windows, balcony doors etc. It is perfect for home, offices, hospitals, hotels, school, daycares and commercial applications
3)eSynic 8 PCS UPVC Window Door Lock Cable Restrictor with Keys Baby Child Safety Locks Anti-Theft Security Lock Protection Lock Buckle Cable Catch Wire for Home Public Commercial Applications Safety
- Window Door Cable Restrictor: It is a Simple Safety Device that Limits the Opening Distance of the Door or Window. Specifically Designed for the Safety of Children or Babies. Keep the Unnecessary Hands Out.
- Safety Distance Design: Safety Cable Restrictor Lock Provides a Limited Distance Up to 185mm When the Cable is in Place. Through the Key, the Cable can Be Removed from One End and the Window can Be Opened Fully.
- Zinc Alloy Material: Our Security Lock is Made of Zinc Alloy, UPVC, It is Durable and Not Easy to Rust and Damage. So that It Can Be Able to Withstand Greater Pressure, Suitable to Install to the Surface of UPVC, Wood, Aluminum and Metal.
- Easy to Install : 32 Screws and 8 Keys Included. Just Need a Screwdriver or Drill to Install, the Unique Precision-Engineered Design Enables It to be Simply Fitted to All Types of Windows and Doors.
- Wide Application: Suitable for Most Types of Windows and Small Doors. Also Can Install on Cabinet, Drawer and Any Places You Want, to Facilitate Safe Closing and Opening in Hospitals, Hotels, Homes, Schools and Shop.
4)Child Window Restrictor Casement Security Lock (2 Pack) Kids Prevent Children Falling Window Lock Baby Protection
- All-metal design:Aluminum alloy, surface electrogalvanizing alloy, not drop paint, Stainless Steel Cable,durable.
- Applicable places: family, hotel, large window, hospital, bank, etc.
- Easy install:Installation takes less than two minutes
- Mechanism is designed to lock without a key, to unlock a key is required
- Waterproof– 304 stainless steel cable with clear and smooth PVC coated can well protect the cable from rust and scratch.cable’s length is 7.87 inch( 20cm ) window can be opened 4-5.9 inches (10-15cm).
5)EUDEMON Window Lock Children Protection Window Restrictor Child Safety Window Stopper Falling Prevention Locks Limiter Easy to Install and Use 3M VHB Adhesive no Tools Need or Drill (Gray, 1 Pack)
- Easy Install & Aging resistance & Waterproof-Install the window restrictor with 3M VHB Adhesive, no drill and tools need.3M VHB adhesive with strong viscous (Effect will be better after 72 hours.) and can be removed easily without any residual, no harm to the window.Strong 3M VHB tape resistance temperature of -30℃ to 90℃,no worry of the hot summer and the cold winter.PC ABS material makes it stronger and bring longer service life.Waterproof material and the tape let you no worry of the rainy
- Ventilation&No baby falling-Help to fix the window and meet the request of ventilation.The max distance of the opening window is 2.76″(7cm),it is much smaller than the distance which babies will fall out of the window.The window lock can withstand 27kg of thrust, and 30kg of tension,no worry baby will open the window and fall.And also there’s no worry of the shut of the window by strong wind.It won’t damage the window or scare babies.
- Innovative design for the window lock-Compare to the window restrictor in the market,EUDEMONs window restrictor have no key,so there no worry the key will lost and can’t open the window.Special detachable design makes it easier to change the position of opening the window to fix the window with small distance.
- Wide installation range-The window restrictor can be used on the swinging window and the casement window.
6)PRIME-LINE N 7534 Bi-Fold Door Hardware Repair Kit – Includes Top and Bottom Brackets, Top and Bottom Pivots and Guide Wheel – Door Repair Kit for 1’ to 1-3/8” Thick Doors Up To 50 Lbs.
- BI-FOLD DOOR REPAIR KIT – The Prime-Line bi-fold closet door pivot and bracket repair kit includes components constructed of steel and plastic. It can be used on doors 1” to 1-3/8” thick and up to 50 lbs.
- OPTIMAL PERFORMANCE – Use these bi-fold replacement components to replace missing or damaged hardware to restore a bi-fold closet door system to optimal performance. This kit is for one side set of doors.
- INCLUDES – One jamb and floor mount pivot bracket, one bottom pivot, one spring-loaded 7/8” D top roller guide, one spring-loaded closet top pivot with 1/4” D pivot, one spring-loaded closet top plastic pivot with 3/8” D pivot and one top pivot bracket.
- COMPATIBILITY – This replacement hardware can be used on bi-fold doors manufactured by Acme, Alliance, Kenna Frame and many more. The pivot guide in this kit works for a 1” W track that has an inner track size of 7/8”.
- PRIME-LINE GRADE – We specialize in repair and replacement hardware products for your home. Prime-Line’s commitment to quality results in repairs which look as good as the initial install, making us the go-to solution for our loyal customers
7)Window Door Restrictor Cable, Security Lock And Key, Baby/Child Safety, Multiple Colors White
- Adds an extra element to your baby and child-proofing measures by limiting the opening of a window or door
- Easy to install, tools required are a screwdriver or drill, depending on the window/door
- Comes with a lock & key operated mechanism, self-tapping screws and a link to online instructions
- Restrictor can be mounted to UPVC, aluminum, wood, composite and metal profiles
- Use on double hung, casement and slider windows; balcony doors, guest room doors, etc.
Babyproofing your home is a large, but necessary, task. There are a lot of things to consider before your child starts walking on their own, from covering sharp corners and blocking outlets to securing kitchen cabinets.
The windows in the home are something that many new parents overlook. Windows can pose serious dangers to children, so it’s critical to take precautions to avoid accidents.
As window experts, We are trying to give you a few safety tips to make your home safe for your children, no matter how adventurous they are!
Hopefully, after reading this article thoroughly, all you worried moms will have found the answer to your questions, along with some tips and a list of baby-proof locks for your casement windows.