Air Conditioners were invented in 1902. Willis Haviland Carrier invented them. As time went on, the usage of air conditioners increased. Nowadays, air conditioners come in different sizes and shapes. In recent times, almost every household has an air conditioner which is why it’s important to have air conditioners in different sizes as not all rooms are the same size.
The size of your room determines the size of your air conditioner. So, if your room is 24×24, you will need an air conditioner which is strong enough to cool a room that size. If your room is smaller than 24×24, then you will need a smaller air conditioner.
So we can pretty much say that the size and power of your air conditioner depends on the size of the room you are installing your air conditioner in.
What Air Conditioner is the Perfect Size For 12×12 room ?
The rooms in our houses come in different sizes. Air Conditioners come in different sizes as well. So, we need oversized air conditioners for giant rooms, and for small rooms, we need small air conditioners.
The cooling capacity is measured in BTU/hr. The cooling capacity denotes the size of your air conditioner.
If you wish to cool down a 200 square foot room, a 4000 BTU air conditioner is the best option. However, the problem jumps up when the room is as tiny as 12×12. Therefore, the best option for a small room is an 800 BTU portable air conditioner or a 5000 BTU window air conditioner.
By buying either one of these air conditioners, you can easily save space and cool your room without any hassle. However, a pro tip is always to buy a little bigger AC unit than this recommendation.
Perfect Size Air Conditioner For 12×12 Room
LG 5,000 BTU LW5016 is perfect for a room as small as 12 x 12. It will cool the room in an instant and turn your 12×12 room into your heaven.
hOmeLabs 5,000 BTU HME020003N is also a good window air conditioner for your room. It’s perfect for a 12×12 room.
How To Calculate What Size Air Conditioner Is Needed?
Figuring out what size of air conditioner you need is quite simple. The best way to figure it out is by multiplying the length of the room by its width. Afterward, multiply it with 25 BTU to get ample cooling for the room under various weather conditions.
We can quickly figure out what size air conditioner is needed by following this method. This is a simple yet efficient way.
What Size Room Can A 6000 BTU Air Conditioner Cool?
Air Conditioners come in different shapes and sizes. There are air conditioners for every size room. Air Conditioners need 20 Btu for each square foot of living space. However, other considerations, such as the ceiling height and the size of your windows and doorways, might call for more cooling power.
A 600 BTU air conditioner can cool a 100 to 300 square feet room without a hassle; however, if the room is more significant, you will need a more oversized air conditioner as a 6000 BTU air conditioner cannot cool a bigger room.
Which Size Air Conditioning Unit Do You Need?
Buying the perfect HVAC system for your house is very important. But, it’s more than just choosing the right brand and warranty. Here are some steps to help you find the perfect air conditioner size for your home:
- Find the correct type of air conditioner: There are three different types of air conditioners. These three types are all fantastic in their ways. However, not all 3 are perfect fits for your household. So, choose the perfect one for you and your house.
- Checking reviews and ratings: This is crucial for buying any electronic appliance. For example, when buying an air conditioner, you will find 80% of the information you need through these reviews. It will also help you pick the best one for you.
- Estimating the right air conditioner for your house: The following qualities should be considered to ensure you choose the correct size air conditioner unit:
- Good quality ductwork
- excellent quality home insulation
- the amount of direct sun exposure your air conditioner can take.
- climate and temperature
- heat radiating household appliances
- Number of doors and windows.
- Matching Your Square Footage To An HVAC Size Chart
|Home SQ Footage||Air Conditioner Size (tons)|
|600 – 1,000 square feet||1.5 tons|
|1,000 – 1,500 square feet||2 tons|
|1,500 – 2,000 square feet||3 tons|
|2,000 – 2,500 square feet||4tons|
( Chart reference from https://www.americanstandardair.com )
Selecting The Perfect Air Conditioner For Your Space
When choosing an air conditioner, size plays a significant role. If you buy an air conditioner too big for your room, it will cool your room quickly, but it will also cost you more. In the same fashion, if you buy an air conditioner that’s too small, it won’t cool your room correctly.
So, we can easily say picking the perfect air conditioner is more about the size than anything else. The best way to select an air conditioner that’s the perfect size for your room is by knowing all the calculations and methods.
The formula used to calculate the square footage of a square or rectangular room will be the formula used for most rooms. This formula is given below:
L x B = Square footage
- Measuring A Square Room
Measuring a square room is very simple. For example, suppose the room you want to measure is 14 feet long and 12 feet wide. So. in that case, the formula would be:
14ft × 12ft = 168 square foot
- Measuring a triangle-shaped room
Measuring a triangle-shaped room is a bit different from measuring a square room. Therefore, the formula for triangle rooms is different as well. The formula for triangle room is :
L x B × ½ = Square foot
So, suppose the room you like is 13 feet long and 16feet expansive. Then the formula would look something like
13 foot x 16 foot × ½ = 104 square foot.
- Measuring an odd-shaped room is probably the most difficult one. To measure an odd-shaped room, you have to measure every part individually.
- The first step of measuring an odd-shaped room is to measure every wall and map that out.
- After the first step, we’ll break this room into smaller pieces and calculate the square footage of each of those pieces.
- We will calculate the area “A” first. Calculating this section is quite simple.
- While calculating “B,” we will use the same formula.
- The formula for C is similar; however, it requires us to half our calculation of L x B.
So after taking all these steps, we finally assembled them. The formula should look like
Area “A” + Area “B” + Area “C” = Total Square Footage
So, By figuring out the shape of the room, we can easily use the formulas mentioned before to find out the size of our room and buy the perfect air conditioner. Following these steps will help you vastly.
Chart For BTU Based On Room Size
A chart for BTU based On room size is given below:
|Room Size||BTU’s Needed|
|150 sq. ft.||5,000 BTU’s|
|250 sq. ft||6,000 BTU’s|
|300 sq. ft.||7,000 BTU’s|
|350 sq. ft.||8,000 BTU’s|
|400 sq. ft.||9,000 BTU’s|
|450 sq. ft.||10,000 BTU’s|
|550 sq. ft.||12,000 BTU’s|
|700 sq. ft.||14,000 BTU’s|
|1,000 sq. ft.||18,000 BTU’s|
|1,200 sq. ft.||21,000 BTU’s|
|1,400 sq. ft.||23,000 BTU’s|
|1,600 sq. ft.||25,000 BTU’s|
|1,900 sq. ft||28,000 BTU’s|
|2,700 sq. ft.||36,000 BTU’s|
( Reference from https://learnmetrics.com/)
Things To Keep In Mind To Determine The Most Accurate BTU Estimate
We need to keep in mind certain factors if we want to get the most accurate BTU. One of the most common mistakes while purchasing an air conditioning unit is not considering the most accurate BTU. To get the most accurate BTU, we need to keep a few things in mind. Things to consider to determine the most accurate BTU estimate is given below:
- Sunlight: sunlight plays a huge role in determining the most accurate BTU estimate. If your room or space is sunny during the day, you have to increase your BTUs by 10 percent.
- Ceiling height: If your ceiling is higher than 8 feet, you will have to increase your BTU’S.
- Shade: if your room is in the shaded corner of the house, you need to decrease your BTUs by 10 percent.
- The number of people in the room: If more than two people are residing in the same room, then you should add 600 BTUs of cooling power for each person.
- Kitchen: If you install the air conditioner in your kitchen, you have to increase your BTU level by 4000.
If you pay close attention to all of the points given before, you can get the perfect size air conditioner for your space. In addition, if you follow these cautionary points, you can avoid making the common mistake of purchasing an under or over-powered air conditioning unit.
Calculating Air Conditioner Tonnage Of A Room
Calculating the air conditioner tonnage of a room is a straightforward task. We can quickly figure out the right size of air conditioner for our space by doing this.
There are two formulas to calculate the air conditioner tonnage of a room, and they are stated below :
- Area Method: This is the favored method. To calculate the air conditioner tonnage of a room, multiply the length and breadth of the room (in feet), take the square root of the answer, and divide by 10. The resulting number will give the desired Tonnage
- Volume Method: Calculating the air conditioner tonnage of a room using the volume method is simple. All you have to do is multiply the length, breadth, and height of a room (in feet). Then, divide the answer by 1000.
What Size Air Conditioner Is Best For Your Bedroom
Size is always a priority for buying an air conditioning unit. One thing to keep in mind while buying an air conditioner unit is the size of your space. As the size of your air conditioner unit will depend on the size of your space.
If your bedroom is reasonably spacious, then the best air conditioner for your bedroom is 1.5 tons. It will keep your room cool and comfortable.
However, you have to keep in mind that sun exposure, shade, and a few other things play a huge role when it comes to the size of your air conditioning unit.
Even though finding out what size air conditioner is needed for a 12×12 room can be tricky, it’s not impossible. So, the best approach, in this case, would be to follow all the steps and guidelines given in this article and try to find the right one for your home.
Remember, no one knows your home better than you. So, use your knowledge about your home and buy the perfect air conditioner for your space.
Another thing to remember is that a few things come into play while picking out the perfect size air conditioner for a 12 x 12 as it is a tiny room. However, by following these steps given in this article finding the perfect size air conditioner for a 12 x 12 room is very easy.